5 Reasons To Drink Coffee Before The Gym
We all know that coffee tastes delicious and gives you a much needed perk-up in the morning, but did you know that it also makes an excellent pre-workout alternative? Say goodbye to sugary energy drinks and stick to a trusty cuppa instead.
Caffeine affects our central nervous systems in a number of ways which are beneficial to us, particularly in relation to exercising. Here are five of the best reasons to drink a cuppa before you work out.
1. Weight-loss. Caffeine helps the body use fat cells as an energy source as opposed to glycogen, leading to a better fat loss rate and a faster metabolism.
2. Motivation. The chemicals in caffeine are said to enhance dopamine production, which produce feelings of motivation, well-being and pleasure. The ideal frame of mind to be in before hitting the gym!
3. Focus. Coffee is a stimulant. The caffeine in your cuppa helps improve mental focus and energy levels, both of which lead to better and more effective performance when working out.
4. Decreases pain. Drinking coffee before exercise can help reduce muscle fatigue and pain. This means you can push a little harder and last a little longer.
5. Antioxidants. Coffee is a good source of antioxidants, which fight free radicals in our bodies protecting us from disease and keeping us healthy.
Next time you’re about to hit the gym, try having a cuppa first. Generally speaking, results are best when you drink your coffee half an hour to an hour before you exercise, but experiment with timings to find your sweet spot.
Remember, caffeine stays in your system for up to 6 hours – something to bear in mind if you work out in the evenings or have trouble getting to sleep!